Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 20, 2012

3rd fitness assessment results, I call shenanigans

Soooo, my heart rate and systolic blood pressure have gotten worse.  Push ups the first time (in the red) I got 15 and those were knee down push ups, this time I did real MAN push ups and got 20 (last time, in June I got 40 knee down).  My flexibility is AWFUL and isn't improving even though I stretch 6 days a week.  My bicep strength is worse even though I weight train and have upped the weight of several of my bicep exercises.  My run time has gotten better.  Sit ups are better.

I'm very  happy with my body fat having gone down!  Although apparently my stomach has gotten fatter according to these measurements.



So this was my 3rd fitness assessment (the papers just show the 1st one compared to this time).  The first time a different guy did it, and since it was my first time, even though I was a little sad I was so out of shape, I left feeling ok.  The last two times, however, I leave feeling like shit.  I don't think I'm going to do it anymore.  The trainer who now performs the assessments, while he praises me for my accomplishments, he also makes me feel inadequate and points out that if I only trained with my trainer more my results would be better.  It always makes me feel bad.  Also I just don't think some of the tests are accurate.  Obviously the sit ups, push ups, and run are, because I do those myself.  But the rest are done on a machine.  HOW could some of these basic things have gotten worse?  How is my bicep strength worse when I lift more now than 10 weeks ago?!  How is my blood pressure and heart rate worse when I have lost a lot of weight, work out, and eat fairly well!?  It's always much lower when I get it checked at the doctor's office (last appointment was in April and it was 118/72!).

I feel like this whole thing is basically designed to make you feel like you MUST sign up for more sessions with a trainer in order to be successful.  Of course they want to make more money!  I get that, but it really makes me feel angry that it is at the expense of my questioning success and effort.  If it were that I wasn't losing weight or body fat, that would be on me.  That would directly be due to a lack of effort on my part!  But the other stuff I don't see how that's not improving.  Maybe I'm in denial, I don't know.  Just don't see how it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment