Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Tale of Three Scales

I'm a daily weigher.  And if I'm being honest, a multiple times a day weigher.  Most of the time it's just because the scale is there, and it's interesting to me to see the natural fluctuations that occur during the day.  I have to weigh myself daily, it holds me accountable.  It's no coincidence that the times in my life I've gained a lot of weight have been times I have refused to weigh myself; like if I don't see the number it's not real.  This month has SUCKED for weight loss, so far.  I've been doing more weight training, but other than that everything else is the same.  I've still lost inches, so I KNOW the scale will catch up (logically I know this), but it is driving me absolutely bonkers.  So I decided that it must be the scale!  Only thing it could be (that's sarcasm b.t.dubs)!  Anyway, it's an old scale, and it'd pull that shit where you step on and off it a couple times in a row and it would tell you different numbers each time.  Started to piss me off.   Here's the old gal:

Nothing special.  It weighed to the .2, and if you entered your height it would tell you your BMI.  Well, it used to do that, it hadn't worked in that way for a long long time.  Also it would randomly beep, and not because it was low on batteries either, I kinda felt like it was sayin' "heeeey".  This scale had been around since before Emma was born I believe.  It's now up in the closet.  I had to hide it because I was weighing myself on the new scale, then going back to this one and comparing, which is pointless, if I'm going to keep using this one, I might as well not have a new one.  I kind of want to toss it, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  Ya, I know, totally redic!

Anyway, I went to Target to get a new scale and found this amazing thing:

It's a beauty!  Not only is it cool looking, but it's glass (or some version of glass) and matched the colors in my bathroom and soooo sleek.  PLUS it weighed to the .1!!!  I was thrilled.  No, seriously, like way too excited over a scale!  Unfortunately it didn't tell me what I wanted to see, stupid bastard (this one was a boy, obvs, it's blue)!  It was pulling the same ridiculousness as the other scale with variations and while I thought the .1 readout would make me happy, it ended up making me sad.  Somehow I must have known, deep down, that I wasn't going to like this new scale, because I kept the receipt and box.  I took this asshole back to Target and headed to Bed Bath & Beyond with one thing in mind -- an old school spring scale.  They had one option, and luckily it was a brand I trusted, same brand as the old gal, Homedics.

It's nothing fancy at all.  It's little tick marks between the 5 and 10 pound big lines are barely visible when you're standing on it, so you can pretty much maybe tell to the pound what you weigh, certainly not even to the .5.  In one way this is hard for me, but in another way it's a huge relief.  I will be able to tell what I weigh, if I'm losing, and keep track of my progress, without worrying about the accuracy varying from one step on to the next.

And THAT is the tale of the three scales.

1 comment:

  1. Having an accurate scale is so critical so I can get why you would be annoyed. I used to loathe the scale and becoming a daily weigh-er was what made it less scary and more of a gauge of where I was at.

    I also tend to gain when I avoid the scale too long too!

    ReplyDelete