Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How I'm Treated

I went to the store yesterday evening and was reminded of something I've been meaning to blog about for a bit.

So, there I was in line, my total came to $16.03, the cashier asked if I had 3 cents, I didn't (just emptied my change into Emma's piggy bank).  The cashier and man behind me start digging around in their pockets and come up with 3 cents.  I had handed her a 20 so it wasn't as if I only had $16 and I was short, they just didn't want me to have to deal with all that 97 cents change I guess.  So super nice of them!  Then the young bag boy makes some small talk as he's bagging, the man behind me chimes in, the cashier continues chatting as well.  A nice grocery store experience!  Friendly people!

This made me reflect on all of the kind people who hold doors for me as I come out of the convenience store with my diet soda, or all of the other random niceties I have experienced lately.  It has also reminded me of the other end of things -- the bitchiness I get from certain women.

All of this is new.  Well, within, let's say, the past 4 months or so.  I notice, as a whole, people are more friendly.  I don't know how many doors men let close in my face coming out of stores when I was fat.  Now, many seriously go out of their way to hold a door for me. 

There's a person at work who went from being very short, and sometimes downright rude to me, to being not only nice and pleasant, but outwardly flirty.  This is a person I've worked with for over two years.

This doesn't bother me though.  I know for some people that lose quite a bit of weight, it actually makes them mad or resentful if people treat them differently, but I don't feel that way for two reasons.  #1 - there's a decent chance that I am nicer now, more approachable, more friendly while out in public because I don't feel so self conscious.  The fact that many people are more helpful and nicer to me could be that I give off a different vibe than I used to.  #2 - I feel like it's human nature to act a little differently when someone is more attractive, and ya I am definitely more attractive then when I was obese.  Not only do I have a shape now (which I competely lost as I got heavier - well I do suppose big blob is a shape but not an attractive one), but I dress nicer, wear make up, do my hair -- I never did that when I was heavy.  I honestly don't even recognize myself.  I'm certain I carry myself differently and exude a confidence that effects the way people react to me.

In actuality, I find it incredibly interesting.  I went from almost literally invisible in public, to, well, not invisible.  I was never treated badly, called names, or whatever, just basically wasn't acknowledged in any way.  I find the new attention flattering, and then sometimes it makes me a little uncomfortable.  But I definitely don't resent it.  I was very unhappy in that body.  I wasn't treating myself well, or with any care, why would I have expected anyone else to do so?

I am not speaking for ANYONE else but myself here, just as a side note.  I know this can be a sensitive subject for people and that everyone experiences things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment