Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 5, 2013

WOW! 2013!

First blog post of the year.  I wish I had something groundbreaking to write! 

I did indeed make a list of New Year Resolutions, most of which aren't health/fitness/weight loss related, but I did promise myself I would focus more on fitness and getting back to working out regularly!  I decided I don't have to go to the gym to workout, I can, but don't have to.  I had to give myself permission because I have this thing in my head that it's not a "real" workout unless it's in a gym, which I know isn't true.  We have a ton of workout equipment, so do my in-laws who live literally on the next street (I'm talking Olympic bar, squat rack, and more weight than I could ever lift), not to mention I can run outside, do workout videos; the options are endless.  The gym is a great place to workout, and I hope to get in there from time to time to make the payment worth it (a whole $15 a month), but I've gotten hung up on the whole gym thing and turned my nose up at other workouts.  Talk about DUMB too, so instead of getting in some (what I considered) half-assed home workout, I sat on my lazy butt doing nothing instead.  Goes to show the lengths my excuses will go. 

I still plan on doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women (I swear!!!!), but for now I've settled for committing (you've heard that one before right!? I'm such a flake!) to doing the 30 Day Shred.  #1 it's so incredibly convenient and fast!  #2 I really am out of shape (after 1 day of 30DS I'm so sore I am miserable -- did day 2 anyway though!).  #3 I sometimes need to give myself baby steps when getting into something I don't enjoy.  So that's my temporary plan.  I do also want to start running again within the next week, making my goal to get out twice a week or so.  Nothing crazy, just a couple runs a week.

The thing with working out for me is that it's only enjoyable when I feel strong and fit, which of course only happens after you've been working out for a while.  When I start back up after not having worked out for a while, it's so miserable and just reminds me of how lame I've been and how much further along I could be if I'd have stayed consistent.  I really hate that!  I'm sure most/many people are like that as well.  Anyway, here's to a year of fitness!

2 comments:

  1. Great, inspirational post.

    I, too, have mental rules about which exercise is "real" and which is not. I agree, this is DUMB. I parked in the "way out" the other day and walked to the grocery, Staples, and Wal-Mart. In my mind, I discounted this as exercise, but the next day I could feel it in my legs because I have "back-slid" so much with the exercise.

    I was so pumped in November when I felt really strong and fit, that I decided I must be done and quit. Like you, I don't know why it is so difficult to keep at it.

    "It is only enjoyable when I feel strong and fit, which of course only happens after you've been working out for a while." So, so true.

    I am 40 years older than you, and have different goals, but the mental part is the same. It seems so easy for some people and such a struggle for me. Regards, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph- Love this! Although I have been fit most of my life. No lomger being a trainer or fitness instructor, but now just MOM has really been unsettling. Thanks for encouraging me to work out again soon, and religiously!
    I will pray for you on the rest of your goals. Keep it up!
    DENA

    ReplyDelete