Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 19, 2012

Waste Not, Want Not

I've been on a DIY kick lately (obvs) (I find things like "obvs", "totes", and "adorbs" so totally obnoxious that I have decided I must use them); partially it's because it's kind of fun, but a lot of it is to save some money.  With my attempt at making Coconut Milk Shampoo I bought some ingredients I do not want to go to waste (there has been a Revised Coconut Milk Shampoo posted that I want to try soon since I have all the ingredients already).  One of the things I bought is Jojoba Oil, another Castile Soap.  Since I'd never even heard of Castile Soap until this past week (although once I looked for it and found it I realized that I had indeed seen it before), I decided to have a go at the Jojoba Oil first, since I'd least heard of that before.

The first thing I did was add some Jojoba to my conditioner, just a few drops into the glob of my Joico conditioner I had in my hand.  I noticed my hair was substantially softer and more, well, flowy.  I must add, however, that I also sprayed my hair with my new homemade detangler.  It most likely was the combo of the two, and I was very please with the results.  My hair tends to be dry, so I am thrilled.




My next attempt at utilizing this expensive ($12.99, and yes, I realize now I overpaid by like double) was to use it as a face wash.  I have extremely sensitive skin, especially on my face.  I decided to use some babywash and mix it with a couple drops of Jojoba right in my hand.  The results were wonderful.  I am going to mix this in a batch so I have it ready to use.  My face was well cleansed but very gently.  It felt refreshed and soft and smooth!


My last venture last night was to use it for my lips.  I'm a severe (and I mean severe) chap stick addict.  For years I used Carmex, but switched to Vaseline Lip Therepy (which is basically just Vaseline in a tube).  I decided that I would melt some petroleum jelly (which has the same ingredient: White Petrolatum) and add some Jojoba Oil to it.  I used a little container that my I.D. Bare Minerals sample size bronzer came in to put it in.  I nuked the jelly for like a minute, stirred and added a 1/4 tsp of Jojoba, then poured it into the little container (which holds about 3/4 - 1 tbsp total).  I like it, I think the Jojoba adds some suppleness to my lips and of course the jelly coats my lips and makes them all slippery (which is what I need in anything for my lips).
















Overall I have to say that I LOVE Jojoba Oil, and even though the original reason I bought it was a bust, I'm glad it happened!  I'm loving trying out new things and even though I never intended this blog to be about anything like this (mostly because I never intended on doing any of these things), I actually think it's more interesting than talking about how many times I've been spit up on today (three, in case you DO find that interesting).

No comments:

Post a Comment