Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's the Plan, Man?

I'm no stranger to all things health related, weight loss related, exercise related, diet related, and so on and so forth.  Just the fact that I used to be a trainer give me somewhat of a knowledge base.  I've been a bit of a yo-yo dieter; low carb, low fat, low calorie, South Beach, Adkins, Zone, diet pills, well, you get the idea.  I've always gained back what I lost, and it's certainly no mystery why!  I'm kind of extreme when it comes to this type of thing.  I'm either eating everything in sight in portion sizes fit for a giant, along with being completely sedentary, or I'm barely eating and over-exercising.  As Dr. Phil would say "And how's that workin' for ya?".  Well, it's not, and never has (b-t-dubs I think Dr. Phil is so douchey, so is saying b-t-dubs, but I can't help it). 

So this time I have decided to pay a lot of attention to my attitude towards things; change my misconceptions, and do this in a healthy way so it can be maintained once I get to my goal.  I've fallen into a terrible pattern of either losing or gaining, but never maintaining, which is not only unhealthy, but takes a toll on one's mentality.

Diet wise - My plan (for now) is to count calories.  This is something I have to do in order to hold myself accountable, and while I've gotten extreme with it in the past, it has worked for me, and as long as I do not fall below where I need to be I think it will be useful, at least in the short term.

Exercise wise - Strength training 2 to 3 times a week, having my husband, Jason, train me until I am able to push myself alone.  Running 2 to 3 times a week, for 20 minutes to start with.

Weight loss wise - Well, I'm a scale addict, which for me works too.  When I stop weighing is when I start gaining, it's like if I don't see the number it isn't happening.  I hope to lose 2 to 3 pounds a week for a while, then 1 to 2.  I know the closer I get to my goal the slower it will come off.  This is where I usually lose it mentally.  I figure if 2 to 3 lbs is good, 3 to 4 is better, and so on.  It doesn't work that way, and logically I know that.  I'd like to be at my goal weight by around Halloween.

The main reason I will be blogging this journey is to keep me in check.  I typically hide these issues from everyone except perhaps a couple people, and when it gets bad I do tend to hide it from everyone, which is bad.  So here it all is.

4 comments:

  1. I started off as a calorie counter too! I really like the flexibility it allows me :)

    Good luck and it sounds like you have a very good idea of what your plan is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We seem to have a lot in common. It's like reading my own mail. I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always nice to meet a kindred spirit, especially a complimentary one!

    ReplyDelete