Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 1, 2013

WOW, MARCH!

March is kind of a big deal for me.  Last March (March 22nd to be exact) was when I started this whole thing.  I've been at this just a few weeks shy of an entire YEAR.  That's pretty huge.  This wasn't my first go around with weight loss, which has made it easier AND more difficult.  I've been very worried about regaining, as people who lose weight often are, but I'm definitely starting to feel more confident that I've made actual life changes and not just simple dropped a bunch of weight.  I have many goals aside from simply being thin (which I still don't consider myself), and I believe that helps me quite a bit.  I've decided to see a counselor to try and work through, and gain tools, to aid me in overcoming some returning bad habits and thought patterns I have.  I've successfully maintained for nearly 5 weeks now, and while for some that may seem like no big deal I've never been able to maintain after losing.  I'm either losing or gaining, or fighting with one or the other.

I did my measurements and took my official weight and body fat percentage yesterday as I do at the end of every month.  I was pretty happy with the results.  Weight stable (down 1.4 lbs from the month before), down a couple inches here and there, put on a quarter inch in my upper arms/lower shoulders area (muscle baby), down a half percent of body fat.  Pretty decent.  The only slight disappointment is that none of the inches lost were from my mid-section, which is basically the only place I feel I have any significant amount of fat left to lose.

New, and continued, focuses:  Lifting!!!  Getting stronger!  Maintenance.  Going to experiment with my diet a little bit so see how my body reacts.  My husband and I have always talked about aiming for more of a whole foods diet, which is ideal of course.  It's a difficult transition for many reasons; cost being one, food prep being another, and just overall change is HARD.  So we've decided to go at it in a sensible and slow way (hard for me, I have a hard time doing things gradually).  We decided to start by cutting out highly processed products, including wheat products and staying away from refined sugars and anything with added corn products (with the exception of the protein powders we recently bought and the protein bars we recently bought).  This isn't necessarily a permanent change as I just can't see never having bread again, but I'm interested to see if I feel any different because I do eat a lot of these types of things.  Next will be artificial sweeteners.  That one makes me cringe.  The thing is though, I know I will feel better, it's hard cutting out vices!  But I'm trying to look at it more like an experiment.  I've never attempted any kind of diet tweaks unless I was trying to lose weight, so doing it purely for health, I feel, may give me a different perspective.

Kind of a rambly, all over the place, post, but just getting my thoughts out.

No comments:

Post a Comment