Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Things that have helped

I'm a far cry from being an expert on, well, on anything really.  But I do get asked a lot about what things I do, or use, that have helped me out with my weight loss, and related things.  So I thought I'd compile a list of things that have worked for me, or at the very least have helped me out.

3FC.  My home away from home.  Full of the most wonderful and supportive people ever.  I've never ever come across a forum with people like this.  I've been a member of this site since '05, and even though I've come and gone and come back again, it remains the same.  Good people, good advice, people don't shoot you down if you see things differently; it's just a great place.

Dry skin brushing!  This has nothing to do with weight loss, but it does have to do with helping the appearance of stretch marks, cellulite, spider veins, and loose skin.  It is NOT a quick cure, or a cure at all really.  I'm certain people have different experiences with it, but it also has other benefits besides the ones I just mentioned.  It leaves your skin feeling incredibly soft, if nothing else.  I linked to one site, but I did quite a bit of reading on it to make sure I got the right brush, and brushed the right way etc.  I suggest you do the same if it's something you are interested in.  I got my brush at Sprouts, but you can get them on Amazon as well.  They aren't expensive.  It takes several months to notice any significant difference (aside from the smoother skin, which happens right away), and of course you have to do it regularly.  I've been dry skin brushing since the beginning of July, before I bathe, every single day.  If I shower in the morning and then take a bath at night (which I often do), then I do it twice.  I find it to be a nice part of my "beauty" routine, and it only takes a couple minutes.  It is supposed to help your lymph system as well, so I figure for the price, and amount of time it takes, at the very least I have much softer and smoother skin.  I have noticed a difference in the appearance of some patches of spider veins I've had since high school, and I've also noticed a decrease in cellulite (although that could very well have to do with my weight loss and workouts).

My Fitness Pal.  I've used several calorie tracking sites over the years: Fit Day, Spark People, and I'm sure others as well.  I like MFP the best.  I've found their database to be much more extensive than the others.  I've only had to input 2 things since I started logging over there, and both were custom ordered food, so there would have been no way for their database to have it.  I also like that I can add recipes, and the 'most used' and 'recent' foods lists make it very quick to add the foods you eat often.

Lyle McDonald.  I love his articles!  I have spent hours reading and rereading his stuff.

The New Rules of Lifting.  Yes, I just started this program, but the New Rules of Lifting for Women book is just awesome.  Too many women are afraid of lifting, especially of lifting heavy and getting bulky (**CRINGE**).  I LOVE that this book sets things straight and gives a bad ass program to follow.  There are several New Rules books, and while I've only read one of them, I'm certain they are all great!  Obviously you don't have to follow the program to appreciate the book any way it goes.  I've seen on some forums that people have been able to check the book out at their local library.  It's worth the read!

Blender Bottle - Love these things.  We have two, one I got at Target, the other at Fry's Marketplace.  Mixes the crap out of protein shakes!

Food I always have on hand: 
Greek yogurt - I like the big tubs of plain (usually either Fage or Chobani depending what's on sale, sometimes 0% sometimes 2%, again depending on sales) to mix with things like protein powder or to use in place of sour cream.  I also LOVE the flavored Chobani single serving cups, especially Blood Orange and Apple Cinnamon, YUM!  Plus my kids love them too, Win/Win.
Cheese - String Cheese (whatever brand is on sale), The Laughing Cow Mini Babybel, The Laughing Cow Wedges (I've just recently found a generic for these, but just in the swiss flavor), American Cheese (ya, I admitted it).  Fat free cream cheese.
Almonds - Raw
Peanut Butter - I've really really really tried to get into the natural PB, but I can't stand having to refrigerate it or having it be all soupy if you don't.  So I've kind of found a compromise in Jiffy Natural PB.  Obviously it really isn't "natural" as there are added ingredients, but close enough.
Eggs and Bacon and Sausage - A given!  I have an egg sandwich every single morning (with very few exceptions).  I either have 1 egg, or 1 egg and 1 egg white, on either a Thomas's Everything Bagel Thin, whole wheat bread (usually Nature's Own), or one of those sandwich thins (whole wheat), with a slice of American Cheese (don't care it's not "healthy") or a serving of fat free cream cheese, and either 3 slices of microwave bacon (Oscar Mayer or store brand, whatever is on sale that week) or 2 Farmer John's sausage links (maple or regular).  I love it, it may not be what many would consider whole food, or clean food, but it has worked for me!
Protein Powder - Whatever is on sale, but I don't really like Pure Protein's powder.  I much prefer the Target brand (Market Pantry), it mixes way better.  Recently we got a brand at Walmart (I think it's called Muscle Tech), and it's not bad actually.  I really really really like the Gaspari Nutrition powder, but it's a little spendy.
Protein Bars -  Pure Protein on these all the way.  Cheap, decent amount of protein per bar, and they taste decent.  I really like the Kind bars as well, but they aren't really protein bars so much as just like nut bars, they taste great though, especially the coconut one, or the dark chocolate one, YUM!
Canned and Dry Beans
Rice - I actually like brown rice, but Jason isn't a fan, so we usually just have instant white.  I really don't care either way.  I like mixing rice and beans with some chicken.  Super easy and a very nutritious and filling meal.  Especially with some salsa or hot sauce, maybe a sprinkle of cheese and a dab of Greek yogurt.
Popcorn - I got an air popper, and I have some of those Kernel Seasonings, along with some butter spray it's a very low cal but tasty snack (plus a good source of fiber).  I do still love the quick convenience of the 100 calorie mini microwave bags.
Pretzel Sticks - I just like 'em.  Especially with some fat free cream cheese.
Chicken breasts, lean ground turkey, Tilapia, lean ground beef, canned chicken, canned tuna, lunch meat
Splenda/Generic Sucralose Equivalent
Pam/Butter Spray - I will use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, or even butter sometimes, but I most often just use the spray and save some calories for more substantial food.

As you can see, I don't eat anything fancy at all.  I go through stages of trying to eat more whole foods but when it comes down to it, I fall back on the old standbys, and luckily a lot of what I eat is pretty healthy.  I struggle with getting in my vegetables, and even my fruit.  I do try to remember to take a multi and I've recently started taking Omega 3s.  I'm not huge on supplements, but I do think protein powder, a multi and some Omega 3s are worth taking.

Obviously this is all just what has worked for ME.


No comments:

Post a Comment