Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 26, 2012

BOO!

I would never say that I'm all that unique, but I often think I am the exception to the rule.  It has been 5 weeks now since I started working out hard core, and in the 5 weeks I've taken 2 days off.  I've been told by numerous gym staff (including my own trainer), my husband, and many internet strangers on various forums, that I am going to end up over-training and getting injured if I continue at the pace I've been going.  I've graciously agreed, to their faces, then turned around and rolled my eyes because obviously they don't realize that I am certain that my body would not do that to me.

From day 1 of running I started having pain in my leg right above the inside of my left ankle, running about half way up to my knee.  I kind of ignored it because I figured #1 I'm very deconditioned so of course there will be pain, and #2 I'm heavy, so of course there will be pain!  I also knew my running shoes were very old and that probably had something to do with it.  Oh, and my muscles are all tight and I refuse to stretch (working on that one).  Well this pain has gotten worse with every passing run and leg day.  And now it's to the point that it ALWAYS hurts, even when laying in bed.  I started googling yesterday (Dr. Google, I presume), and found out that it is Posterior shin splints.  Now I've had shin splints plenty of times (the Anterior kind), and never knew there was more than one kind until yesterday.  So I go reading through several sites and of course if there is anything that I could do to make matters worse I've done it (old shoes, running through the pain, tight calves, never resting, never icing, never elevating).  Well, I have new shoes now, I have no choice but to rest, I need to start icing and elevating, and I promise to stretch.  My only fear at this point is that I've run, and done other various exercises, too much through the pain and have caused a stress fracture.  I'm giving it until Tuesday to see if it gets any better, then I'm going to go to the dr.

The GOOD news is that I'm almost to my goals for the month!  I've already lost a whole pound more than last month and there are 5 days left.  I will get my cardio in somehow (biking or light walking maybe), and even though I can't do legs, I can do upper body still!  I'm trying not to get discouraged!  There are like 34 weeks left until the half marathon, and the training program is 24 weeks, so I have a good amount of time to let this heal and still not get behind with the training.

And only .8 pounds to go until my pre-pregnancy weight!!!

________________________________________

Goals so far: 23/28, 9/12, 1055/1200, 9.4/10


No comments:

Post a Comment