Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Fatty


Brooks Ravenna
I went to Runner's Den today to get a very well deserved brand new pair of running shoes.  It was a very good experience.  The salesman, Barry, asked me lots of questions, measured my feet, had me walk around with just socks on, watched how I stood, and based on that brought out a pair of shoes.  I then went outside and ran back and forth in them while he watched.  They were comfy!  He then brought out 4 more pairs of shoes, all of which I tried on my right foot while leaving the original pair on my left, then went outside and ran with each one.  The last pair were the ones.  Very exciting.  He then told me about my stride and the way I run and how I need to work on certain things which will make my running easier and less likely to cause injury.  I signed up for a free class on how to improve all of these things.  I'm very encouraged!  And this is the Good!

The Bad and the Fatty are one in the same.  I've been doing wonderfully with my eating and in the gym.  I account for every calorie that I eat, ensure I get a God awful lot of protein, and I work my ass of in the gym every day - I push myself in my weight training and in my cardio.  I joined a month ago tomorrow and have missed only 1 day.  Yet since last Monday I've only lost .4 pounds.  In fact I was down 1.6 but somehow gained 1.2 pounds from this past Thursday to today.  I'm furious, frustrated, irritated, upset, mad, sad, and overall bummed, discouraged, and pretty damn grumpy about it.  I know that weight loss isn't just a numbers game and that fat loss is different from weight loss and that it will probably all come tumbling off here soon because a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit.  But for crying out loud it makes me want to scream!  I've been working so hard and it's difficult to not see that reflected immediately on the scale.  If I were talking to someone and they were complaining about the same thing I am right now I'd have all kinds of logic and encouragement for them.  I'd tell them to keep at it (which I fully intend to do anyway) and that the scale isn't the only measure of progress.  I'd tell them to be proud of their ever growing cardio endurance, and their ever growing stregth.  I'd tell them to be proud of how meticulous they are being counting calories and macro-nutrients.  I would applaud them for abstaining from junk food, and give them props for the portion control they practice when having a small indulgence.  Why is it so much more difficult to tell yourself the same things you would easily tell another person?  If anyone in this world were as mean to me as I am to myself I would never be around them!

____________________________________
Goals so far: 20/28, 8/12, 925/1200, 5.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment