Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 9, 2012

Challenge Accepted - Day 1

So I made a big mistake this weekend.  It's a mistake I think we have all made, one that people make even when not trying to lose weight.  This mistake is: Grocery shopping while hungry!  You know, you get home and somehow all you got was a chocolate bar, fritos, and a tomato.  Well in this case I went to do last minute Easter shopping for the kids (I have never not done last minute holiday shopping.  Example: I was shopping this past Christmas Eve, which was  4 days after I gave birth).  Anyway, there I was in Target surrounded by all that candy, I knew I had to hurry and get out of there.  I made it!  BUT, by the time I got home my strong commitment to my diet had been buried by the monster - the HUNGER MONSTER.  I decided (after making about 100 excuses why it was justified) to take 24 hours off.  Cookies, beer, pizza, (then the next day) waffles, bacon, sausage, muffins, cupcakes, ham, pasta with meatballs, macaroni salad, potato salad, candy; honest to God when it was all over at about 2:30pm yesterday (which was 26.5 hours b-t-dubs) I felt so disgusting and bloated I couldn't believe I had given myself permission to do that to myself, because in the end I didn't enjoy it at all.  And so continues my f-ed up relationship with food.  Yuck! 

So I decided to do this 7 day challenge that my hubs has been trying to get me to do.  It's kind of like a cleanse in a way I guess.  Day 1 is ALL veggies (no sweet potatoes or white potatoes though) and you are supposed to have 4 meals, but you can have snacks if you want.  Day 2 - 4 you can have 25 grams of any lean protein (including eggs, tofu, chicken etc.) with 2 meals.  Day 5 - 7 you have 25 grams of lean protein with every meal.  Also you're supposed to drink at least a gallon of water a day, and you are allowed unsweetened tea or black coffee.  Then, ideally, after the 7 days is over you just start adding back other foods like fruit, maybe some grains here and there, plus sweet potatoes etc.  Really I think it's supposed to set you up to just eat super healthy, and you can repeat the 7 day challenge every 8 weeks if you want to.

I am NOT a vegetable lover at all, so this is going to be really hard for me.  But I think it will be good, and honestly I need to prove to myself that I can do it.  The calorie counting has already gotten tedious, so this basically gives me a week off it it to figure out what will be next without letting my diet go to shit.  Typically when things start getting tedious I just give up instead of finding some other way to go about things, usually because I'm looking for a reason, nay, excuse, to give up.  I'm really serious about this though, so if one thing doesn't work I need to move on to the next thing and continue to find what works for me so this can be (and forgive the cliche) a lifestyle for me rather than a short term "fix".

I really had decided I wouldn't blog about this challenge until it was over, basically because I figured if I failed I would feel embarrassed to come on here and admit it.  I felt like that was setting myself up for failure though, so here I am putting it out there in hopes it will aid me in sticking with it.  I will try to post about it at least once a day to keep me going.  Here goes nothin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment